Graduated Summa Cum Laude (GPA 30/30 with 27 honors) from Alma Mater Studiorum – University of Bologna, Faculty of Medicine and Surgery on 12th October 2004. Presented a thesis in “The treatment of articular cartilage defects. Tissue engineering for the treatment of patellar lesions: a prospective study”.
3-time winner of the Dr. Rino Fiorini prize for “best university student” in the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery.
2005 Winner of the Rotary Prize for the best graduates at the University of Bologna (academic year 2003-2004).
Board certified in the medical-surgical profession on 4th March 2005 by a State Examination at the University of Bologna.
Registered with the Provincial Board of Medicine of Bolzano, Italy.
Research fellow in 2009 at Rush Cartilage Restoration Center in Chicago (IL), USA, with Prof. Brian Cole.
Specialized in Orthopedics and Traumatology at the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute (University of Bologna, Italy) with 70/70 Cum Laude on 5th November 2009.
Since 2005, member of the III Orthopaedic and Traumatology Clinic – Biomechanics Laboratory, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, led by Prof. M. Marcacci, focusing on clinical and basic research in the musculoskeletal tissue engineering and regenerative medicine.
Member of the Editorial Staff of the Sphera Medical Journal.
Reviewer for Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy (KSSTA) Journal, The American Journal of Sports Medicine (AJSM), Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) Journal.
Member of Società Italiana di Chirurgia del Ginocchio, Artroscopia, Sport, Cartilagine e Tecnologie Ortopediche (SIGASCOT).
Member of International Cartilage Repair Society (ICRS).
Member of European Society of Sports Traumatology Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA).
Member of the Musculoskeletal Tissue Bank of Bologna, Italy. Up to date, carried out 48 explantations, 10 of which as team leader.
Investigator of research projects and clinical trials regarding biotechnology applications in orthopaedics (from pre-clinical (animal) studies to clinical trials) funded by the Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute (Bologna, Italy), the Italian Government and European Community.
-“Mesenchymal stem cells for tissue therapy in musculoskeletal pathologies”. Ricerca Finalizzata (2005-2007). Funded by Italian Government.
-“A system approach to tissue engineering processes and products – STEPS” (2005-2009). Funded by European Community.
-“Regenerative medicine in osteo-articular diseases.” Funded by Regione Emilia Romagna. (Programma di Ricerca Regione – Università 2007/2009).
– “Innovative biomaterials for the development of joint bio-prosthesis”. FIRB Research Project (2008-2011). Founded by the Italian Government.
– “New Bio-ceramization processes applied to vegetable hierarchical structures -TEM-PLANT”. Funded by European Community. (2006-2010).
– “Composite phenotypic triggers for bone and cartilage repair”. OPHIS. Funded by European Community. (2010-2014).
– “Scaffold for muscle-skeletal regeneration: preclinical evaluation of compatibility and efficacy”. FIRB Research Project. Founded by the Italian Government. (2011-2014).
– “BIOreactor-based, Clinically Oriented Manufacturing of Engineered Tissues”. BIO-COMET. Funded by European Community. (2011-2015).
– “Platelet Rich Plasma, from clinical application to research and back: a new non-surgical bioactive treatment for knee cartilage degeneration and osteoarthritis”. Finalizzata Research Project . Founded by the Italian Government. (2011-2013).
In 2009-2010 worked in Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute as researcher for the Project ” Tissue engineering in osteoarticular disease: basic and clinical evaluation” and of the Project “Regenerative medicine in osteo-articular diseases”. Collaboration also with the University of Bologna for the Project “New Bio-ceramization processes applied to vegetable hierarchical structures”. In 2009 winner of the research grant of the University of Bologna “Evaluation of pulsed electromagnetic fields potenatial in accelerating healing of articular cartilage lesions”.
Since 2011 research student in a PhD Program on regenerative medicine in the Bologna University.
Author of the most cited SAGE article in 2009 and 2010: Arthroscopic second-generation autologous chondrocyte implantation compared with microfracture for chondral lesions of the knee: prospective nonrandomized study at 5 years. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Jan;37(1):33-41.
In 2011 winner at AAOS as author of the best scientific Exhibit: “How to Treat Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Knee: Surgical Techniques and New Trends”.